What Does Low EMF Mean?
EMF stands for electromagnetic field, and the low EMF feature indicates that a product generates a harmless amount of EMF radiation. In the case of HEALTHandMED’s Sauna Blanket, this is due to new technology built into the blanket itself.
The HEALTHandMED Sauna Blanket was tested with an EMF meter placed inside the center of the blanket. Doing this resulted in the discovery that the EMFs constantly remained in the range of less than or equal to 0.3 milligauss throughout operation.In contrast, when another similar looking far infrared sauna blanket is tested, the EMFs jump off the scale up to 100 milligauss. For reference, the recommended safe level is 0.5 2.5 milliguass.The EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) has proposed a safety standard of 3 mG.
To put it another way, when it comes to other far infrared sauna blankets, you might as well be laying on top of a microwave oven!
Why Do I Want a Low EMF Rating in an Infrared Sauna?
Not all of the effects of high EMF from other sauna blankets and from using technologies like cellular phones are currently known, but some consist of:
- Blood cells become distorted in shape and clump together
- Certain cells start producing so-called stress proteins, which are only produced when a cell senses that it is under threat
- Some hormone production is reduced (especially melatonin and serotonin)
- Sperm cells become less mobile and fewer sperm are produced
- DNA repair processes within the cells work less effectively
These effects are all measurable, and most of the damage and diseases caused by EMF will probably only appear after many years of exposure, but you can see how EMF can cause your body to change over time, resulting in a higher likelihood that you’ll experience associated health problems as you get older.