Benefits of Negative Ions
We’ve gone over the science behind Ionic Detox systems on this blog before, but there are a few questions remaining about the full benefits of negative ions flowing throughout your body and the benefits of the process.
pH Levels in the Body
pH level matters when it comes to your body’s natural processes. A higher pH is beneficial to your health and can be had by consuming alkaline foods, such as fruits and vegetables, that are high in pH. The more negatively charged ions there are in the blood, the more efficient the cell’s metabolic processes. Negative ions contain the amount of electrons needed to improve the immune system and boos resistance to illness.
On the other hand, a lower pH will make your body more susceptible to sickness and can make you feel weak. The more positively charged ions (free radicals, etc.) there are in the blood, the slower and less efficient the cell’s metabolism will be, which can lead to the cells becoming weaker and an increase in susceptibility to sickness and aging. Essentially, too many positive ions in the body will cause the body`s immune system to completely shut down.
More Benefits of Negative Ions
In addition to heightening the body’s pH levels, negative Ions also help to:
- Strengthen the functions of autonomic nerves
- Reinforces collagen (tissues that are resilient and tension-related)
- Improves the permeability of the cell’s prototype plasma membranes (improves metabolism)
- Strengthens the body’s immune system
Negative ions neutralize pollutants and provide positive effects on health to
- Stimulate the reticulo-endothelial system, a group of defense cells in our bodies that marshal our resistance to disease
- Act on our capacity to absorb and utilize oxygen. Negative ions in the bloodstream accelerate the delivery of oxygen to our cells and tissues
- Speed up oxidation of serotonin (5-hydroxtryptamine) in the blood. This is well known to have far reaching effects on mood, pain relief and sexual drive.
An article in Alternative Ideas in Health, Science, and Spirituality found that negative ions decrease serotonin levels by accelerating the oxidative degradation of serotonin, the opposite of positively charged ions. An increase in serotonin levels can lead to:
- a rise in blood pressure
- bronciospasam going as far as asthma attack
- increased intestinal peristalsis (contractions and dilations of the intestines to move the contents onwards)
- increased sensitivity to pain
- increased aggression
By decreasing serotonin levels in the body, negative ions help to calm you down as well as increase the body’s defenses against infections. Negative ions also produce an increase in hemoglobin/oxygen affinity so that the partial oxygen pressure in the blood rises but the partial carbon dioxide pressure decreases, which results in reducing respiratory rate and enhancing the metabolism of water-soluble vitamins.
Alternative Ideas in Health, Science, and Spirituality
Economy Daily News January 30, 2002